Carboniferous Fish II & III: dilemmas & decisions


On the success of Carboniferous Fish I : Megalichthys (a linocut), I had a picture of where to go in the future. After creating something that I was really very proud of, I decided to try to replicate this.

Part 1: Carboniferous Fish II: Rhabdoderma 

The plan was so forth:
Create a series (likely of the 4 fish-species that I had found fossils of at Pow Gill) of linocuts depicting Late Carboniferous fish in a consistent style. When framed as a series, the linocuts would form an accurate depiction of both the fauna and flora of Westphalian Pow Gill. However, as I would find out would be harder than planned.

Firstly, I have always enjoyed the process of designing and planning a piece of artwork more than executing it to it's final product. As a result, I have a wide range of unfinished works and here lies the issue...


I started my next design based on Rhaboderma, a coelacanth, waiting in a scoured-out bank, revealing the roots of Lepidodendron: Stigmaria. This was partly inspired by the masses of twisted mangrove roots. It also had the opportunity to challenge one of the hardest elements (for me at least) of linocuts: finding depth. By being able to place roots both in-front and behind the focus, it eluded to depth, creating a more accurate and more visually interesting piece. The design of the artwork was challenging, but thoroughly enjoyable...and then I returned to university.  This marked a break in the art as I could not start carving for a number of months.


By then I had lost all interest in the piece, for me I felt it was done. I knew that with time I COULD continue carve it, I COULD print it and it was going to turn-out alright. I put it aside in a pile of work on my desk, and there it stays to this day.

NB: Part of the reason I gave up on the piece was the fish- it felt very static, with no life or movement. In reality, modern coelacanths (Latimeria chalumnae & L. menadoensis) do look un-expressive and lifeless  but the lack of life didn't reach my expectations.

Part 2: Carboniferous Fish III: Rhizodopsis & Platysomus 

So I put my head forward, to something more challenging. I would now scrap the idea of having a series of Carboniferous fish, pieces all the same dimensions, as a series. I decided to double the size of the piece, working on a A3 piece of lino, and instead of doing a single fish I wanted to create a hunting scene; trying to achieve the sense of life lacking in the Rhabdoderma piece.

This piece showed Rhizodopsis hunting a small shoal of Platysomus. Aiming to have a composition full of energy I bent the fish around, giving it a flick in its tail. This created a nightmare for composing the fins into a life-like position.


I planned out the composition, going so far to mark out the piece onto the lino. Alas, here the creative process halted again. Firstly, I wasn't happy with the size of the scales. The scales, along with the body plan in general seemed clunky and almost mechanical, without rhythm or the movement that I had hoped for. 


And so, similarly to Carboniferous Fish II, Carboniferous Fish III lays on my desk not to be completed. 

Part 3: Reflections 

Currently, neither of the pieces will be completed. I do not know whether it is due to purely a lack of interest, or a block in my inspiration and hopes for the art, but for now there will be no continuation of the Carboniferous Fish series. I found the whole process (that took a number of months) trying to create new pieces, almost formulaic- creating depth, pattern, movement in the composition, again and again.

Part 4: Forwards 

I doubt I will revisit the pieces, although I may revisit reconstructing the species. All the Carboniferous fish pieces are based on fossils that I have found. I find that by having a personal connection to the prehistoric flora and fauna, be it that I myself have found them or they are from my local area, helps in motivation. You are more connected and therefore invested. 

My parents returned from the Jurassic coast of North East England, near Staithes and Robin Hood's Bay, with copious amounts of fossils, some truly spectacular. Many of these needed preparation- below is a multi-block of around 8 Promiceras ammonites. I may create a piece of work based around these stunning fossils, I just hope I don't come across the same blocks as in the last few pieces. 


Perhaps the way forward is to expand into less time and energy consuming media, that require less investment - but does that make more easily disposable, and perhaps poorer quality, artwork?


Comments