Carboniferous Christmas Card 2018

-

Last year, I had been experimenting with digital 'graphics', I suppose you would call them, around last November/December. These were somewhat inspired by old enamel signs.
Pow Ghyll Colliery 



Pow Ghyll Colliery

I thought I would create a Christmas card, in a graphic style, of Late Carboniferous flora. In the prior two years, I had spent a large amount of time finding coal measure fossils, predominately leaves, so I thought a Christmas card based upon them, would be appropriate.

Various seed-fern fossils. 

Various seed fern fossils. These photographs are from 3 years ago, since then the quality of specimens that I've found has dramatically increased: at some point I'll get around to photographing them.

The original aim was to only use fossils that I, myself, had found. However, the assemblage from my main localities was limited, being mainly leaves, and this lead to a fairly dull image. So instead, I chose to add some other fossil reconstructions, mainly seeds (Cordaite seeds) and cones (Lepidostrobus) to the design. 

A Christmas wreath of Late Carboniferous Flora.




Comments