Belemnites life reconstruction

-

I've recently been re-working an old piece: belemnites of the Speeton Clay (click here), which was an identification plate style watercolour of three species of belemnites. I wanted to rework the piece into a life reconstruction. 

To do this I used one of the photographs I had taken using my water tank (click here) as the background and composed the belemnites as a semi-transparent layer on top. The degree of transparency corresponded to where the belemnites were (e.g. the larger/closer the belemnite the less transparent). I also had to make a series of adjustments, such as adding shadow to the underside of the belemnites, as well as deforming some of the belemnite's arm positions to make each belemnite individual. 


Reconstruction I. 

After my first reconstruction I attempted to portray two of the belemnites releasing ink, something that belemnites were known to do, based on the presence of fossil ink-sacs in some belemnite taxa. The ink is dark in colour, due to melanin, with the exact colour differing between different cephalopod groups. I decided to go with a brown-black similar to modern day cuttlefish. Creating realistic ink within water is a incredibly hard challenge. Simulating the movement of the surrounding water, the movement of the belemnite and how the ink disperses from the siphon is a near impossible task. 

I was thinking of changing the composition, to try and make the piece more balanced, however, I liked the look of the ink covering the other belemnites and partially obscuring them. 

Reconstruction II. 

After experimenting with inking belemnites, I wanted to experiment with some deformed ones, after a friend sent me a photo of one his specimens from the Speeton Clay that had an unusually deformed rostrum (a palaeopathological feature). Basing my reconstructions on a recent paper [1], I deformed the rostrums using photoshop and displayed them in the water column. 

Belemnites with pathalogical deformations of the rostrum. 


Despite being a reworking of prior work, I was really happy with these pieces, especially the blending of the watercolour and the photographic elements. This also opens up new possibilities for watercolour/photograph reconstructions such as a 'belemnite battlefields' and orthocone nautiloids.

[1] Hoffmann, R., Stevens, K., Picollier, M.-C., Mutterlose, J., and Klug, C. 2020. Non-destructive analysis of pathological belemnite rostra by micro-CT techniques. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 65,11–27.

Comments