Orchids 2020- A prelude to a linocut

Bee orchid (Ophrys apifera) at Maryport in mid-June. 

2020 has been a difficult year, but a surprisingly good orchid year given the circumstances. I saw a grand total of 29 species (excluding hybrids, subspecies and variants) which includes 7 new species for me: sword-leaved helleborine, green-flowered helleborine, lesser twayblade, bird's-nest orchid, heath and marsh fragrant orchid (while I have seen these before this was the first year I was able to confidently identify them) and green-winged orchid. 

My orchid year is summarised below: 

Orchids 2020

Despite a rather rushed camera replacement after a lens failure in the spring, I really enjoyed my orchid photography this year too. Below is an incredibly brief selection of my favourite habitat shots- I may make a post on trials, tribulations and tips of orchid photography in the future. 

Heath spotted-orchid (Dactylorhiza maculata) stand at Eycott Hill, looking towards Blencathra, North Cumbria. 

Broad-leaved helleborine (Epipactis helleborine) at Brundholme Woods, North Cumbria.

Fen Orchid (Liparis loeselii) at Kenfig, South Wales.

Narrow-leaved (sword-leaved) helleborine (Cephalanthera longifolia) at Talkin Tarn, North Cumbria.

Lesser twaybade (Neottia cordata) at Cliburn Moss, Cumbria.

Bog orchid (Hammarbya paludosa) at Carrock Fell, North Cumbria.

Green-winged orchid (Ancamptis morio) at Latterbarrow, South Cumbria.


Throughout the year, as well as photographing the orchids, I kept a sketchbook. This was supposed to be field sketchbook, but more often than not I lacked time and did most of the work later that day at home. Generally, a sketch in pencil was made in the field, with fine-liner and watercolour added later. Below are a selection of sketches.

A selection of twayblades.

Helleborines and 'small green jobs': fen orchid and bog orchid.

Green-winged orchid, early-purple orchid, bee and fly orchids, and Dactylorhiza.

This post is a prelude to a larger piece of work, a linocut of the Dactylorhiza of Great Britain and Ireland (-click here-), which is based upon many of the orchids seen this year, as well as some of the sketches.

Comments